What is a Survey Plan Document?
In real estate transactions, a land survey is one of the documents and real estate investors, or let’s say every land and property must-have. If you don’t have survey means your land is not well registered.
A survey plan is used to show the location and size of the landed property. With the descriptions and coordinates on the survey document, it is easier to check or search from the office of the Surveyor-General whether the land is actually under any government acquisition or not.
Types of Land Survey Document in Nigeria
There are two types of survey plans I know of.
- Provisional Survey and
- Registered Survey
Provisional Survey Plan
The provisional survey plan is not a legal document. It is only used in place of survey of a particular boundary and can be used to create a building plan. The provisional survey contains the size of the land, boundary, and coordinates.
Registered Survey Plan
This is a legal document. A survey carried out by a Registered Surveyor which is lodged in the Cadastral Records department of the Office of the Surveyor-General of the State is considered a Registered Survey. The register survey contains, Starting Point, UTM Zone, Land Area, Beacon Location and Identification Number, Land Boundaries Distance and Coordinates, Landmarks, Surveyor’s Name, and Signature, Survey Plan No. and Registration of Survey Plan with Government.
Information on the Survey Plan
The following information are what makes the Survey Plan authentic:
- The name of the owner of the land surveyed.
- The Address or description of the land surveyed.
- The size of the land surveyed.
- The drawn out portion of the land survey and mapped out on the survey plan document.
- The beacon numbers.
- The surveyor who drew up the survey plan and the date it was drawn up.
- A stamp showing the land is either free from Government acquisition or not.
Importance’s of a Survey plan:
- A survey plan is used to identify the owner of land or property
- A survey plan is attached to title documents for any official registration.
- A survey plan is attached to a deed of assignment also in the processing of certificate of occupancy.
- Depending on Loan requirement in some agency, a survey plan can be tendered as a requirement for a loan
POST SOURCE: Land Sprout “What you should know about land survey document” https://landsprout.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-land-survey-document/